Thursday, April 13, 2006

Resident Ducks (Minus the 's')

This morning, Justin called me on his way to work and reported that Mr. Duck was lying in the middle of the road and that 'it doesn't look good.' Sadly, Mr. Duck has moved on to a bigger and better world. He has been moved to the side of the road, and I think he needs to have a proper burial of some kind.

The sequence of events leading up to his death seem odd to me. First, it was he and Mrs. Duck, proudly waddling around the neighborhood for two weeks. Then, she disappeared and he would cruise around alone, quacking up and down the road and sidewalks. As recently as yesterday, Mrs. Duck was coming out of the woodwork to feed on a front lawn, looking remarkably thinner. But the last time I saw the two of them together was late last week.

I am guessing that Mrs. Duck nested in a backyard to hatch some ducklings and left Mr. to his own defenses. Did he die of a broken heart?

I truly assume that the neighborhood wasn't the safest place for the ducks to be hanging out and a cat or dog got him. If Mrs. Duck appears out in the open with a trail of ducklings any time soon, I am going to call a bird rescue and have them lead them back toward the park so that they can grow up safe and sound...the products of a mysteriously broken home.

Mr. Duck, your neighborly spirit will me missed.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

My condolences.

m said...

Obviously you aren't familiar with the ceremonial duck-sacrifice that Mormons perform on Easter Sunday.