Thursday, October 19, 2006

Easily Entertained

On my way home from work Monday, I narrowly missed my first car vs. animal tragedy.

I was winding through my neighborhood when a squirrel darted out into the street. I slammed on my brakes so hard that the car skidded (hey, I have swerved for a buttefly before), but then saw no sign of the squirrel fleeing away. I decided to back my car up to see if I had flattened him, and there he was...alive and frozen in the exact same position of absolute terror I had seen before I came to a screeching halt. He wouldn't move.

I pulled up alongside him and looked over to the sidewalk. Another squirrel (I'm guessing his pal) was standing up, frozen in fear as well. I shouted at my almost victim squirrel in the street and he finally darted off to his pal and they cruised away.

I'd like to think that two lives were saved that day...the squirrel I almost hit, and his pal who would have been traumatized for life had he seen his best bud get murdered.

Okay, gotta continue packing for my weekend trip to Ohio. Oh, note to all. I head to Ohio for good on November 11th. That's Veteran's Day by the way, for all you patriotic folks.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

In Ohio this tale could have involved a cow or large pig instead of tiny squirrel. You got off lucky and why? All because you live in Oregon. Are any of my last ditch efforts to get you to stay even working? P.S I added a new pic of Cedar to my blog - it's super cute. Go see. The color's a bit off but I'm not photo inclined so therein lies the problem.

Jennifer said...

OH MY GOSH is therein even a real word? I really need some sleep.

m said...

I've taken out some squirrels in my day. Once, my uncle was driving in front of me and ran over a squirrel...you should have seen that little furry tail fly!