Sunday, December 14, 2008

Snow Day ADD (And a Plug for Slumdog and Fitzsimmons)

It's a snowday, on the weekend, so I'm not too happy about it. It's put the kibosh on my family dinner, and I can't go anywhere. Oregon with snow is funny. I'm trying to embrace that a couple inches here is a combination of joy, photo ops, snowmen, and an excuse to stay home all day due to the shear terror of driving. But I'm kind of bored, and not stupid enough to go drive all over Portland, so I'm going to terrorize my blog with my ADD...

1) So my first piece of advice on this snowfilled evening is to go see Slumdog Millionaire. It was seriously the best movie I have seen in years. It evoked the same level of feeling in me that City of God and Crash did years ago. You have to see this movie. It actually just got nominated for four Golden Globes too. Even the children actors in this movie are amazing.

2) Speaking of Golden Globes, I am completely surprised that Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express got nods. It seems comedies never get any attention, but both were great in my opinion. Of course, Kate Winslet got two nods for Lord knows what, so they still have a lot of evolving to do. (Sorry Kate, I like you and all, but I just don't understand how you can be nominated for almost every role you play...maybe I am still bitter that stupid movie with you and Johnny Depp got nominations).

3) Tonight I put a jingle bell collar on my roommates dog. It's velvety and loud, but she growled at me when I tried to take it off. So now, it's still on, and it sounds like Santa Claus is huffing through our house with his reindeer.

4) My roommate and I are watching an old episode of Fresh Prince right now. The fashion was terrible...did we really dress like that?

5) I've always wanted to name a kid Atticus after the character in To Kill a Mockingbird. I would call him Atty for short. I've been told said child would probably disown me. I may still take a gamble and name a kid Atticus. I hope he is really cute so he can get past it. And no, I am not having 'Atticus' anytime soon.

6) There's this singer out who apparently has a few CD's already, but I'm just hearing about him. His name is William Fitzsimmons. Not a big fan of the facial hair, but it's the music that really matters in this case because I don't have to kiss him, or look at him for that matter. His music is fantastic...and if he shaved he may actually look alright too. He sounds a little like Iron & Wine if you like them.

7) Speaking of William Fitzsimmons...according to Wikipedia, his music has been featured in 'pivotal' scenes on Grey's Anatomy. Okay, okay, so, let me take this chance to say that I think the only reason Grey's is successful is because they play great music at all the so called 'pivotal' scenes. The acting on that show is absolute crap in my opinion. I've watched a couple episodes, and they never use the lame monotone acting to evoke feeling...it's always the really good music. So there, all you Grey's lovers can kick my ass...I hate that damn show and wish it, and all it's bad acting, would go away.

8) If Grey's doesn't go away, at least I get to for a while: I'm leaving the country at the end of December for eight days and I am really, REALLY excited. After a year of digging through myself, and what is, and is not me, 2008 ended up being a wonderful year. So, this is my reward and celebration for a year of hard work on so many levels. Going to a little town close to Puerto Vallarta where my hotel is literally inches from the ocean on a sunny and sandy beach. Can't wait.

9) Back to stalking the 'school and business closure' websites. Someone out there con Oregon into making it so I don't have to take a personal day because I can't get out of my driveway.

Night.

No comments: