Sunday, July 15, 2007

Some From the Life of Sarah

Here are some of my opinions and thoughts of the moment...

DC: I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Washington DC last week. I got to spend time with my good Oregon friend Marni and her family while touring what I found to be an amazing city. We battled 100 degree heat the first day and then did an evening tour of all of the monuments and memorials that night. Two favorites of the trip: The Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.

It was a sad reality check to walk through all the exhibits at the Holocaust Museum and realize that most of the women, children, and elderly people in the pictures did not survive. Some pictures actually have 'this man was executed shortly after this picture was taken' written right below.

This gets me to thinking...how did the world ever let something like the Holocaust happen? And how in this world are there some people who think that it never happened? And how IN THE WORLD are we still letting things like this happen in other countries everyday? Completely baffling and unethical.

A good movie about ethnic cleansing: The Mission. It's a genius 1986 film with Robert DeNiro.

On a lighter note, my other favorite feature of DC had to be The Onion, in print, free to take, at the entry ways to the Metro Station. I need a subscription to this now!

No mo Harry Po: I went to see Harry Potter the other night because the nine year old we were watching wanted to see it. I have to be honest and say that I find Harry Potter to be DREADFULLY dull and boring. Maybe if I read the books, I would be able to make it through a movie and like it, but I was literally bored to tears. Yes, I know most of the world just loves these movies. But I will never be one of them.

This is a good time for another 'this gets me to thinking'... I tend to have a problem with long movies set in fantasy. Lord of the Rings...possibly the most captivating trilogy known to cinema right? Can't stand them. Star Wars...the original three were good, but most recent ones drove me nuts. Maybe this has something to do with my attention span. Hmm. I have always been a bigger fan of nonfiction, reality, all the 'true story' flicks and books. But I really did have an imagination as a kid, I swear!

And lastly, a Sarah report: People, I am restless. I am going nuts being several states/days/hours away from most everyone who matters to me. Doesn't this always happen to Sarah when she lives far away? Maybe I will start working on warp speed time travel this week.

Song of the moment: Love Song by Sara Bareilles. So what if it was the free song of the week on iTunes two weeks ago...you can't help but want to sing along and love it.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

This does not look like a tag to me? Your in trouble. And how can you say Harry Potter bores you to tears! Million of little are surely on their way to your house right now to storm you. The third movie was best -- did you see that one?

Jennifer said...

You're in trouble. Not "your." Poor spelling won't stop me.

Sarah said...

Yes, I expect to be the odd one out on disliking Harry Potter. But I can live with that. I mean, just look at how many people saw it this weekend. And I will do the tag soon, I think!

Jennifer said...

Okay, I don't have to write an entire post titled "the bad family seed" now. You're supposed to post that you play at Offbeat so people will visist you. Geez.

Jennifer said...

Oh my god... visist WTF.

Anonymous said...

Isn't Sara Bareilles Awesome?

If you would like to join a growing community of fans who want to share their love for Sara Bareilles and her music, go to sarabareilles.wetpaint.com and apply to be a writer.