Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Travel Advice

I just got back from a three day road trip to Washington DC. According to my tiny Chicken Little resembling 15 year old cashier at Hardee's this afternoon, it's a good thing I went before 2009...

Her: Are you travelling today?
Me: Yeah (I think to myself...why else would I be in this truck stop mecca that is Breezewood, PA?)
Her: Where to? (She pushes up on the nose of her oversized glasses)
Me: Headed back to Ohio from DC
Her: Do you travel a lot?
Me: I like to.
Her: Well, you should really reconsider that because starting in 2009, they are raising the tolls on the roads by 25 percent!
Me: Oh, they are pretty spendy I guess.
Her: Yeah, when I get my license and can drive with someone, because I am 15 right now, I am going to drive my whole family to Ocean City. Have you been to Ocean City?
Me: No.
Her: You should go. That's where I am driving my whole family (didn't she just tell me this)...but we are going BEFORE 2009.
Me: Alright. Thanks for the tip.

After the conversation ends, she counts back my change and cheers to herself "Yah, I got the change right!"

I start to think to myself...Gasoline costing $3 a gallon and plane tickets in the hundreds...who cares? If I have to pay that extra two bucks at the toll road in 2009, I am never stepping foot outside my house again!

Thanks for the advice weird little Pennsylvania girl.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

What a fun little story. Thanks for passing on the heads-up so that we can all squeeze our lifetime travel plans into the next year-and-a-half.

Jennifer said...

Oh man do I ever love me a good freak at a truck stop -- thanks for the laugh.