Monday, March 09, 2009

Hope, Late at Night

I went to church today with three of my friends. This isn't something I do very often, but, I was invited and actually enjoyed it.

After church, we went to lunch and, as we usually do, got to talking about random things. The theme of the sermon today was 'hope' which was fitting considering the personal issues of some of us at the moment and the general state of the US as well. As we continued talking, I made the comment that "Life is frigging great right now." It was met with some giggles and laughter...I mean, who says 'frigging' right?

Well, the point of the statement was, and I said this...

I've got a job...friends and family I adore...a roof over my head...minimal debt...food anytime I want it...dispensible income...a nice and safe car...trips out of town as I see fit...a bright future, blah, blah, blah...

Most everyone reading this probably has something they're struggling with. Some much more than others whether that be not finding a job, grief, debt, illness, relationship woes. A friend of mine posted an article the other day that reported crisis call lines in Oregon are up 72% right now. People are thinking of giving up, they're crashing, they're lying in bed all day, they're isolating themselves from their friends. For lack of a better word, it kind of sucks.

Anyway, there's a line in a very popular song that I really like that says: "And while you're out there gettin' where you're gettin' to, I hope you know somebody loves you..."

No one is alone. And you're probably much more loved than you'd guess, even if you're an ass to people. I guess I just hope that people feel comfortable letting others know when they're struggling and need help, or if they're just feeling pissed and need someone to put their life in perspective for them. Whether your outlet is friends, God, a crisis line, or a random stranger on the street...find someone to help you feel better if you can't seem to do it yourself...and don't feel bad about it either...because eventually you'll get to a point where you'll make yourself feel better on your own...but that time doesn't always have to be right now.

At the end of lunch, one of the four of us stated that he's tattooing HOPE on his wrist now, and IDIOT of his forehead. We'll work on talking him out of the latter one...maybe.

Songs of the moment: You Found Me by The Fray, Cobwebs by Ryan Adams, Never Hold Back by Method Man. Don't ask about the last one...I just like it.

Baby Sischo is officially named Brayden James Sischo now. I'm still going to call him Love, at least until he starts telling me to quit when he is ten.

Oh, and I get to go see William Fitzsimmons in concert in a few weeks. For the few of you who know who he is, this is a cool thing. Everyone else can make fun of me. I'll get over it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Aims said: I totally agree- my fun-loving, sweet, giving and brilliant friend!!! I love you very much and appreciate your wonderful attitude! I am very lucky to have you in my life! We ARE very blessed people and I appreciate that you acknowledge that in your life too!!!

Jesse said: Well said. the area i live in is a pretty depressed area normally so this recession is business as usual for up. wow family is doing better financially than we have in years. we are thrilled because we have been able to help people on occasion that had helped us when we were struggling. it's been great overall because when we were so broke we really learned how unimportant money is and so now we are not so attached to it that we can't give it out. i wrote a song a long time ago called eye of the storm. that is what my life feels like now. peace amidst the turbulence around me. i credit god. i believe he offers peace to those who lean on him. others find comfort elsewhere but it is refreshing to find someone else with a positive outlook in times like these. thanks for sharing sarah.