Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Far From the End of This Book...

Sunday night was my family birthday party. We waited an extra week to celebrate because my stepmom was in Orlando for my real birthday and she really wanted to be there too...she has a thing about not missing our birthdays.

After dinner, my dad started talking about one of the presents he brought for me. He said he picked out the book I used to make him read to me every night before bed when I was little. He scurried off to the kitchen and came back with the little board book of "The Monster at the end of this Book." (Click on the link for a tragic story about Grover from The Onion). The instant he handed it to me, I remembered how much I loved that book as a kid. He said that my sister would get mad because every night, we each got to pick a book, and she would choose different ones, but I would always get this one. Then, he put on his best Grover voice and told me, "And I used to read it to you with this voice, and as you turned every page you would laugh and laugh."

I like when my dad tells me these stories about my young days with him, and I thought it was cute that he found a book I adored to give to me as a present. Most everyone who reads my postings knows our history of being apart, but every day I have with everyone in my family makes me thankful that I get another 80 or so years to make up for lost time with them.

And on separate notes...ever since I bought an iPhone, driving and texting has kind of gone the wayside. I know I used to be the texting monster, but texting on an iPhone while driving seems to be the best chance I have at committing involuntary manslaughter at a young age...so if I don't reply, go old fashioned and ring me up.

I am thinking about putting in for a transfer up to the Portland area for work. It appears I will get to stay in my current house for quite a long time, so it seems logical to stop commuting ten hours per week and spend that time with friends, family, and Bailey the loveable 91 pound mutt instead. I'm still on the fence, but I'm pretty exhausted too, so transferring will probably ring victorious.

Oh, I really miss Mexico too. I figured out that I really do like Mexican food...as long as it is actually made in Mexico. I can't get Fajita Republic, Quixote's, or shrimp out of my head. Well, that and the 80 degree sun filled days. Where do I want to go next winter?

I have no songs of the moment right now. The Office can be my show of the moment instead...mostly because I forgot to start watching all the other shows I used to watch last year again this year, so The Office is the only one that I have picked up again...

"Learn your rules, you better learn your rules. And if you don't, you'll be eaten in your sleep. Chomp."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book as a kid as well. I think I still have it.
-Robin