Tuesday, September 13, 2005

CRASH Into Me

Crash has officially been added to my list of movies that are a sociological and cinematic dream come true. This movie made me scream, cry, and then almost cry several more times, pound my fist on my coffee table, and even cheer at a few points.

I'd analyze this film from my liberal 'lover of sociology' viewpoint for you, but really it comes down to this:

1) I loved it.
2) You should watch it.
3) Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges deserves cinematic respect. Seriously.
4) If you feel no emotion watching it, you are a stone.
5) If you're still pissed at Matt Dillon's character by the end of the movie, good.
6) If you don't rethink some of your own viewpoints, you're lying to yourself.

And lastly, if you don't think this stuff really happens, you are an ignorant ass. In this case, I suggest you spend a rainy Oregon day watching Crash again, along with American History X, The Hurricane, Traffic, and Philadelphia. If you aren't pissed about something by the end of the day, consider yourself a threat to society and move to a deserted island.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always thought that if you sat and watched The Last Picture Show, They Shoot Horses Don't They,and Grifters, all in one sitting, you would have no choice but to kill yourself. It's good when the arts...movies, novels, poems , plays and paintings and sculpture bring out feelings. But I believe thats what they all attempt to do, but only a few can achieve it. Among my favorites are Dr. Strangelove, A Thousand Clowns, The Usual Suspects and The Apartment. All are terrific movies.

Anonymous said...

p.s.I have always been touched by anti-war films such as Dr. Strangelove, All Quiet on the Western Front, King of Hearts, The Americanization of Emily to name a few.

Sarah said...

Hey Dad,

Looks like we need to set up some movie dates, because I have only seen The Usual Suspects. I can't believe I missed Grifters because it has John Cusack, and I love him. Sounds like we'll need to pick some happy follow up films for our emotionally charged set of films though. Otherwise, it could be one dark day.

Love ya, Sarah

Anonymous said...

For someone so hooked on movies i am surprised you haven't seen some of the older movies. How about My Favorite Year, The Stuntman, Harold & Maude, Grand Illusion, The Ruling Class. Or how about the really bad but so bad they are good movies? Like Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Motel Hell, Bubba Ho-Tep, Rustlers Rhapsody. Boy are you missing out. Pick something you want to see and I probably have it. love and out.

Anonymous said...

by the way OSU got lucky....

Anonymous said...

I own both My Favorite Year & Harold & Maude. Both are great. But the best movie is Room With A View – it actually lived up to the book (something that rarely happens).

And if I’m correct Killer Klowns From Outer Space scared Sarah to death. She hates clowns probably because mom let her watch Poltergeist when she was six or so.

And Sarah, after all those depressing movies all you have to do is watch About A Boy – duh. If that movie can’t cheer you up you are officially un-human.

Love your sister :)

Anonymous said...

so im thiking maybe "It"... would be a bad choice also. Lets just watch a good western instead. WHAT IS AMAZING EVEN AFTER ALL THESE YEARS WE SEEM TO HAVE SIMILAR TASTES IN MANY THINGS. Caps not for emphasis, I just forgot to take off cap lock.

Sarah said...

Harold and Maude, hmmm, how many times have we seen that??? A million! Probably the reason that Jen and I love Cat Stevens so much too. I used to hate My Favorite Year when I was little, but our mom had a penchant for replaying movies over and over.

Oh, and absolutely no clown movies are allowed in my presence. Killer Klowns DID terrify me, and still does...and IT is even worse...eeegh.

Sarah said...

Oh, and About a Boy is my new Christmas day movie. I love it.

And oh yeah Dad, I know that you are only smashing on the Beavers because you may have yet another daughter go there and you just don't know how to handle the fact that her team will always be better than the Ducks...sorry.