Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Sixty Degrees and Mellow

Ahhh, life. It's been pretty mellow lately, and here's what I've been up to:

GOOD

My friends Devin and Pinki got married in Manzanita on Saturday and included a lot of Pinki's culture in the ceremony and reception. They even gave out traditional place settings sent from Hong Kong as wedding favors...I got a whole set. The wedding and reception were beautiful and these two make a great couple.

I finally acquired Songs for Silverman by Ben Folds. I was in need of some new stuff from this super talented piano man, and this does the trick. I am pretty obsessed with the song Landed at the moment.

Hmm, I like playing pool. Friday night, about fifteen of us overtook the pool room at the McMenamin's Cedar Hills Pub and ate, played pool, and caught up. The only bummer...I lost in pool and had to buy dinner for a certain guy and myself as part of a deal struck earlier in the evening. I thought I was pretty good, but it looks like I need to hone my skills or quit making bets with better players.

My sister Jennifer and nephew Cedar arrive in two weeks for a visit. Apparently, Cedar has been packing his Power Rangers suitcase since July and has been telling EVERYONE that he is going to go see his 'auntie.' I should add on that he is doing this only because his best friend went to see his 'auntie' and he wants to compete with him. But I still feel a little special.

I was on call again for my job and got one call the entire time. Nice considering that the people on-call before and after me got more than 15 calls each. So I essentially made $175 just for carrying the pager and looking like I was from the early nineties for a week...I can handle that.

BAD

The football teams I've been rooting for had one hell of a week. I don't even need to mention the Beavers game again...it was awful. And then the Cowboys had a freak loss to the Redskins...bye-bye 77-0 record, coach. As supporters of Jose Cortez (my friend Delainie's husband AND a former Beaver), our house had a hard time watching them go down after what was almost a shutout...aggh, hope next week is better all around.

I was sick for about a week and it finally blew over last Friday. I always feel like I am dying when I am sick because I hardly ever get sick. I mean, a headache to me means brain tumor, a stomachache means cancer. Luckily the longest part, the sore throat, means sore throat...but it still sucked.

TEENAGE ETIQUETTE

On Sunday night, my friend Chris came over to watch Fever Pitch and hang out. Raquel (the teenager who lives with us) joined us for the evening. As we were all settling in, she blurted out, "Dude, what happened to Reckless? He was here all the time." Then she continued to ramble on for another few minutes. Reckless, by the way, is Mike, and he got friended a little over a week ago. His license plate on his truck says REKLES, but only because he bought it that way from a friend in AK and never changed it, I swear! Anyway, these awkward situations have happened before with the teenager when I have had the opposite sex around and are bound to happen again in my dating days. Being that I'm not dating Chris, I used it as a training moment and offered up that if I was dating him, it would be pretty awkward for him to hear about another guy, wouldn't you think? Anyway, I may need duct tape for when I have a date over next.

SEND YOUR LOVE

My friend Kim has started going through the prepping for another potential heart surgery. It's a stressful time, so send some good vibes her way and to whatever God you pray to and keep thinking about her.

TUNES

Alright, I'll leave you with some new and old music to go and buy, steal, whatever. My cheese-o-meter self enjoys the new Weezer song Beverly Hills...sorry, it just reminds me a lot of the fun style on their blue album. As mentioned above, Landed by Ben Folds is awesome. And for a nice mellow welcome into fall, go with Coming Home by G-Love. It's good. And Either Way by Guster...it makes me a little sad, but I love it.

Hey, have a good week out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well im not to up on power rangers but I look forward to trying. By the way I used to supplement my nights out with pool...so you come by your talents there from my gene pool. STill have my cue but im not very good any more....wanna play???

Anonymous said...

So I essentially made $175 just for carrying the pager and looking like I was from the early nineties for a week...I can handle that.

I remember being on call in the late 90s. It was back when I wasn't much of a weekend partier or socialite. Those were the days! I never got asked if I had any fun pills, though.

I used it as a training moment and offered up that if I was dating him, it would be pretty awkward for him to hear about another guy, wouldn't you think?

I fully agree. Raquel needs to learn (we all did, growing up) about the appropriateness of things to say. I'm curious as to how she'd feel if you said that with someone she was potentially dating visiting the house. Gaccckkkk!

Sarah said...

Hey dad, Yep, I'll play ya. Maybe I will win too.

And Pete, We don't let her have boys over yet, but when she does, we will be sure to embarrass her. That's the best part of letting her bring a boy home.