Sunday, October 30, 2005

Getting Up to Speed

I've been slacking on this, so here, have an update:

The foreshadowing of Jude Law...So, I finally watched Closer. Talk about disturbing. What I really picked up on by watching this though, is that Jude Law, while absolutely hot, is a damn idiot. He made Closer, where he cheats on his girlfriend and loses her, and another movie called Alfie, where he cheats on many girlfriends and loses them all, and then STILL cheated on Sienna Miller in real life with his kid's nanny. I believe he has lost Sienna now as well, right? What a f**king idiot! Did he not learn from the movies what would happen in real life? He is pretty damn low on my respect-o-meter and looking less and less attractive as a result. Changing tunes, Natalie Portman's Academy Award nomination for her role in this movie further supports my idea that the people who pick the nominees have the most severe tunnel vision in movieland....talk about over rated. Give me a break and actually look outside the box for talent sometime will you?

Spanky...I went to Harvey's on Friday night with a group of friends and watched this guy's show. He had such an interesting style that was very funny and absent of the typical offensiveness of most comedians. I'll even mention that he left me with a little feeling of inspiration after his encouragement to everyone to laugh more. It was good stuff.

100k...My Saturn wagon is going to hit 100,000 miles this week after 4.5 short years. It's been pretty good to me. All I have had to replace on this thing is one $300 fan and the tires and front brakes. I am pissed that I have to go replace the front windshield because of a crack that has reached over a foot in length...stupid flying rocks.

Functional Family Therapy...This is a new form of therapy that my company picked up recently on a contract. I trained on it last week for a mere 24 hours and am supposed to be able to start it with a new caseload next week. Officemates, don't tell on me, but I am so not excited to sit in a room with fighting kids and parents. Being from the family that I came from, I didn't go into family therapy for a reason. I mean, I like to work with the families, but there's a reason I choose to work primarily with the youth. We'll see how it goes.

Best costume, not me...After all that speculation about what I should dress up as for Halloween, I decided to NOT dress up. It was too damn cold, and I just wasn't in the mood. Pete Lee did send me an email about a Santa dressup event coming up in December though, so maybe I'll head out with him to do that...it's guaranteed warmth, and I won't have to worry about originality....everyone dresses up as Santa Clause.

Alright, I am off to see the fam for dinner soon, so I gotta go get ready so that I'm actually on time. Dad is on to the fact that I am almost never on time, so I figure it may be nice to impress him and actually show up by 6:30.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually liked Closer quite a lot. Yes, I know Jude Law is a moron and a caveman, but quite frankly, most actors in Hollywood really do live in LA-LA land. I've met Benicio Del Toro, I know Audrey Tatou and Soderbergh's lawyer--and they're all moderately nuts. The only one with any semblance of sanity and reality is Clint Eastwood--and he's getting long in the tooth.

SantaCon will be a blast, and will be devoid of these stupid, frat boy "dude, you have to do shots, unless you're a pussy" conversations I've recently heard at parties. It's good plain fun, the kids love us, and we take mass transit everywhere (not taking a taxi or a bus is highly unadvisable--crash at someone's house nearby downtown).

For example:
http://pete.ftml.net/adw.jpg

The "Four Fucks" Of SantaCon:
1) Don't fuck with police.
2) Don't fuck with store security.
3) Don't fuck with kids.
4) Don't fuck with Santa.

Anonymous said...

What the Portland Police has said about SantaCon in the past:
http://www.santarchy.com/memo_96.html

Last year, the "official" count was about 170 Santas. This year, we have Santas coming from San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver B.C., and hope to push the number over 200.

Benjamin said...

Closer was bothersome. I'm not too keen on movies that focus purely on depressing subject matters. I know depressing conditions exist. It doesn't seem to do me much good to bask in it. And I agree about Natalie Portman's nomination. Didn't make much sense to me, but that's all too common with Oscar nominations. However, I do remember being struck by Clive Owen's performance, so I didn't mind his nomination.

Oh, and congrats on your Saturn. My car (a '98 Chevrolet Prizm) is at about 130,000 miles and hasn't needed much more work than yours. Although the other day the door handle snapped off like candy when I attempted to exit the car. Other than that, it's been nearly perfect.