Friday, November 25, 2005

Pumpkin Pie Season

Hello out there. Time to catch up the days...

30 years!!! First, I have to send a happy b'day out to my sister Jennifer. She hits 30 today, but still looks damn young. Gives me hope that in two years and two months, I will still look damn young too. Anyway, happy b'day you opinionated and dramatic sister of mine.

Daniel-san is crying. It's time to wax on and wax off and send a solemn goodbye to Pat Morita, aka Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid movies. Every person my age has to admit that they watched the first two movies over and over in their kid years. The third, not so much, and the fourth, well, Hilary Swank went on to bigger and better things clearly. I'll prune a Bonzai tree tonight in your honor Mr. Miyagi.

Screw the lines. Thanksgiving is over and I refused to go shopping today. I think I might take the advice of a smart coworker and buy everything online this year. Shipping is generally free during the holiday season and I won't have to deal with impatient jerks and traffic. Oh, happy belated Thanksgiving to all. Hope most of you have the day off like me. I will eat lots more pumpkin pie today.

Hey, I suck at poker. After spending Thanksgiving afternoon with Justin's family, we headed to my dad's for dessert. The guys are all big into poker, so we sat down and played. In a particular hand of Omaha (some kind of poker), I had what was equal to 4 Jacks with an eight (kicker?) between my hand and the flop. Well, I folded. The whole combo thing didn't make sense to me. I quickly learned through their uncontrollable laughter that I would have schooled them all. I have a feeling I won't live this down for quite a while.

Heater I.V....I am sitting in my house right now with a sweater and my Northface fleece on and I am still freezing. It is about 42 degrees outside, but totally wet and rainy, so it makes it even colder. In order to beat the cold, my current plan is to invest in one of those tall portable outdoor restaurant heaters and move it along with me everywhere I go, just like a hospital I.V. drip. I won't even care about the weird looks from people on the street...at least I'll be warm.

RENT! Hey, RENT came out this weekend. I plan to see it by Sunday if I can manipulate people into going to see it with me. This may be hard, but I'll be persistent. I'm hoping I like it, but we'll just have to see about that.

Man, I slept well...Monday night, I put in a few hours by myself at my agency's Community Receiving Home. This is a foster home that we have for kids who get pulled out of their homes (usually because of meth busts) so that they can stay in their sibling sets and not have to sit in DHS offices for hours on end while a suitable home is found for them. I had two sets of siblings ages 1, 2, 4, 4, and 7. The oldest kid was pretty aware of why he was in the foster home, which was a little heartwrenching, and his sister just kept saying, "No, mom is at home," even though mom was in jail. The two year old would only call me mom, and the one year old cried if I tried to put him down. Their realities are pretty different than they should be at their age, and that really bothers me.

Hmm, I am out of here, but here, have a quote I like...

Youth would be an ideal state if it came much later in life.

I have it posted in my senior book, and I still agree.

4 comments:

Benjamin said...

You'll have to let us know how Rent is. I'm more curious now that I've heard it's the original Broadway cast. (Is that true?) The preview was a bit annoying to me, but I'll probably see it eventually. Of course, everybody said Chicago was wonderful and I thought it was torture...

Anonymous said...

Dramatic…not me! But thanks for the birthday shout out. Of course if you really loved me you’d have come to visit for my birthday.

Here’s a plan: come visit for your birthday! You know you want to go to Buca, which you can’t do in rainy ol’ Portland. Cedar misses you too. Today I walked in on him pretending to talk to you.

Oh, and I’d go see Rent with you – no one here wants to go either :(

Love your very old sister.

m said...

Mr. Miyago died? Damn!! Uh...cold pumpkin pie with whipped cream (COOL WHIP!) is the bomb. Also, 42 degrees is NOT cold! Try 5 below.

Jay Bee said...

What? No updates in like more than a week? Either no-one is sleeping or you're not having any moments when they are.

Check out my new profile pic. Pretty neat huh? Also, can you e-mail me your address as I wouldn't mind sending you a Christmas card. 'Tis the season.

Hope you're well in the OR.

JB