Friday, March 04, 2005

A Dead Record

Wednesday was my first sick day in my two and a half years of employment at Oakley. I have a mere three weeks to go at this job, and this damn Norwalk Virus that 75% of the school has gotten hits me like a brick wall for 24 hours...it's amazing what a measly 99.9 temperature will do to you when you are used to perfect health...my best friends were Thera Flu and Jello. Walking seemed like mastering a perfect tango sequence. This was bad enough that I didn't even eat any cereal all day, so you know I must have been suffering.

Now, I value days off, but we have PTO that includes all our days in one, so I like to use them for vacation and payouts upon quitting...so much that I am working a 13 hour day on Monday to get the day back. But forever gone is that proud feeling of conquering illness for all of job eternity. There was this sense of pride in me that I never got sick...and now it is like my visit to the dentist last year when he said, "Oh, so you haven't had a cavity yet? Well that record is broken today!" What an asshole.

I guess I'm just glad I am over it so fast. Some people were laid out on their bathroom floors for three full days or at the hospital with IVs in their arms. I just had to stay home and watch Ray and sleep the day away in my big comfy bed. I even managed to have good enough dreams to wipe out the discomfort for a while. But the record is gone, the illness free streak is tarnished, and this girl better not be getting sick again for a long time.

No comments: