Sunday, February 13, 2005

And The Greatest Creation is Cereal

Right now, I have ten boxes of cereal in my cupboard. I am scared that this will be what I decide to sustain myself on when I am living on my own again, because I just love it so much. While kitchen supply shopping today, I even bought the larger silverware set because I was genuinely concerned about running out of spoons before having to wash them (and I hate using huge soup spoons to eat my cereal). I also nixed a beautifully designed place setting because the bowls just weren't the right shape or size for my normal serving of delight.

This obsession has existed as long as I can remember. Most people know that having me as a houseguest requires space in their fridge for my gallon of fat free milk, and them being okay with random boxes of Reeses Peanut Butter Puffs and Fruity Pebbles lying around the house ready to attract ants.

Now, I do eat, and even enjoy healthy cereal too, always in the morning, and I even have some Kashi and Smart Start up on the shelf right next to my Captain Crunchberries. The one bowl of protein or bran heavy stuff mixed in with yogurt in the morning justifies my need to devour up to three more bowls of the rainbow variety before bedtime. And I wonder why I am up until 3 or 4 every night.

This makes me wonder how I would have fared as one of Seinfeld's dates. Would he have offered me another date because we shared a love of cereal? Would me eating a bowl of his most beloved box be the reason I didn't make it to the next episode?

Did you know that in the episode called "The Cereal" the object of Jerry's affection is in fact named Sarah? And she actually does get another date with him because he wants more Breaky Flakes from her father's company. Only he pisses her off and she storms away leaving him empty handed. Sounds like something I would do too. Not because he's a jerk, but just to have more cereal for myself.

No comments: