Sunday, February 27, 2005

Update on Cereal, Rosebud, and "The Mattress"

Chocolate Lucky Charms...not so good, too many marshmallows, and I dislike those in cereal...so why did I buy this again? But the milk afterwards is such a perfectly created chocolate concoction, so it's worth it.

Otherwise, it is Bailey's 5th birthday today. I know that I am not the only one to celebrate a pet's birthday...my friend Robin through a themed birthday party long ago for the now late Rosebud (sniff) complete with a full size cake and party hats. Bailey just gets to go on a car ride and to work with me for the day, and will probably score some meat from the kitchen staff.

This gets me to thinking about Rosebud, Robin's little pug who passed away two summers ago and now enjoys a nice resting spot on Kay and Dougie's farm. During my senior year, I lived with this dog and could hear her snore echoing through the vents in the house because my bed was "the mattress" on the floor in the middle room which nicely became mine for eleven months. Bud was such a popular dog that Lee's mention of her during his stroll down Homecoming Court in high school drew cheers from many. Upon arrival in Oregon for Robin's wedding in October of 2003, I put off asking where Rosebud was because she was nowhere to be found and I knew what that meant.

Now, "the mattress" gets me thinking too, but those thoughts will just stay hidden with good reason. Okay.....Anyone remember sleeping on this thing? Of course you do...the twin size piece of cheap foam and coils that was dragged from room to room, inhabited for long periods of time by Greg, Lee, and myself (thanks to our surrogate dad, Steve). Aimee would STILL get grounded by her mom if I say anything else, so I guess you'll just have to dig up the memories on your own for this one. Nothing was really ever over PG-13, but the drama and teen angst surrounding it all...now that's where the memories are.

Honestly though, that house provides a lot more stories to tell...7-11 at 3:00am...being hosed by Steve INSIDE the house on New Year's Eve...Deep Forest seeping through the vents during Greg's chill time...breakfast in bed complete with "Here's your syrup on the side bitch"...scores of "zero" in alley oop. How easy was our life back then?

1 comment:

Leon Bertoletti said...

Very interesting blog, Sarah. Have a nice day!