Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Play, Repeat, Play, Repeat

So I have had my I-Pod for about two months now, and I am still playing around with it. It is a great little invention, but also a little bit of trouble for a girl like me who likes to obsess over certain songs. I seem to be favoring the mellow side of life right now, I think in an effort to keep myself from winding into a crazy mess before mid March comes. Anyway, out of the 1000 songs I could be playing, here are the ones that keep showing up on my screen (thanks to my ability to keep selecting them):

Rain Song by Sunny Day Real Estate...Okay, new to me, but apparently a five year old song. Random, but love it.

As I'm Leaving by David Gray...Under appreciated except in the world of soundtrack producers. Maybe because of White Ladder's oversaturation in the US. This is apparently on Ladder 49. Did I see it, no. Is this a great song, yes. This song is a little reflective for me being "almost gone" from this place. (Utah, not life, phew!)

The Trapeze Swinger by Iron and Wine...I have two versions I bounce between. Props to In Good Company (which is a movie I highly recommend by the way). I am also partial to Naked As We Came being played at my funeral in 80 years by my mourning husband.

Brand New Colony and Be Still My Heart by The Postal Service...A crush worthy friend forwarded me the first one about a month ago and told me it should be my theme song for my upcoming move and I have kind of not gone a day without playing it and smiling since. The second one was a new find that reminds me about those feelings of wondering where the hell you stand with someone in new love. Frustrating excitement I guess?

Sundays and Holidays by Red House Painters...Why didn't this band ever make it onto everyone's radar? Oh I know, because their music is too good to be subjected to all the bulls#%t that ruins good music.

Angeles by Josh Kelley...I am pretty mixed on what I think of this guy's talent overall, but he sings the line "I hope I like the way you dance with me" and I like it.

Lonelily by Damien Rice...He is generally the most depressing artist out there, but this one is upbeat enough sounding to mask his disappointment and loneliness.

Unhappy by Big Boi (Outkast)...There is a line "When I found out that Santa Claus was nothing more than Vanilli." Genius. This one has a great flow, gets me home every night awake. If I am really struggling, B.O.B always violently kicks me into wakeup mode.

Some other repeats right now are Sunday Morning by Maroon 5, The Only Living Boy in New York by Simon and Garfunkel (I am still not over Garden State yet), Pain Killer by Turin Brakes (no one has heard it, but it's great), and a bunch of random songs by Matthew Good, this Canadian anti-violence dude. I also give the occasional love to DMB and Tom Petty. How could I ignore listening to Time To Move On in a time like this?

No comments: