Monday, May 23, 2005

All Mixed Up

Ahhhh, a great song by Red House Painters, and a perfect representation of my feelings at the moment. Been a little impatient again when it comes to my life. I am literally counting down every hour (28, by the way) until I get to turn in the keys at my current job and enjoy a five day break from responsibility. The flipside of this is that I am extremely excited to be starting a new leg in my career on June 1st. But damn, I NEED this mini vacation coming up on Wednesday night, and I feel I've rightfully earned it.

Next, there is this pissy weather. Seriously, why do you hate me Mother Nature? Looks like the next few days will be great, and that sun and heat better damn well stick around for my days off. Everyone reminds me, "Hey, you moved back to Oregon," when I'm complaining, but COME ON already! Any amount of sun in a two hour streak would put a smile on my face at this point. I don't like that I am edging toward 'pasty Oregonian' again...eeeegh.

Long term committment is clearly something that I quit six months ago, so now I am getting those 'look at that cute husband and wife with the kids' feelings. I was explaining this to my friend Jess in that I am glad I didn't go through with a wedding to someone I wasn't in love with, but it sure would've been nice to not have to start at the beginning again. I guess I can't explain this without sounding like a crazy who will marry the next guy who steps in my path, so we'll just hold off on this subject for now because that ain't gonna happen, I swear.

Lastly, someone tell me the key to developing a relationship with my newly extended family. It's a little hard to explain, but I go through 'When should I call?' and 'When should I see if they want to hang out with me?' questions in my head as if we're dating. Warranted feelings I suppose, but come on, these are blood relatives...they're not going to break up with me. I stuck my dad in my cell as 'Dad' so I guess that's a start. I like when the title flashes when he calls, so that's even better.

So, coming up on two months as a newly reminted Oregonian. Happy, but discontent. Is that even a plausible combination? Don't worry, I'm still figuring it all out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that meeting up with my extended family is always best over drinks. There's nothing more bonding than buying rounds of beverages for each other, and spending several hours catching up on what's been going on. I don't see them often (I'm really busy), but they are too, and they know where we're all at.

Blood is always thicker than water, but beer is tastier than both.

Anonymous said...

=-=Blood is always thicker than water=-=

I must say that this is not true at all – and everyone who’s met our extended vs. “blood” family will agree with me. Although, I do agree with the casual get together. Maybe not drinks in this case but dinner once or twice a month. Believe me Sarah, your dad hasn’t seen you for 24 odd years there is no way he’s had close to enough of you yet. Other than stuff like stalker calling every day and sending weird mix tapes I’d guess it would be hard to overdo the interactions. And who wouldn’t love hanging out with you!

Love and all that – your best sis.

Anonymous said...

PS If you want some sun you can always come visit me ya know. It was 99 + yesterday & today :(

Sarah said...

Thanks for the suggestions sis and Pete...only in this case Pete, this leg of the fam doesn't drink a drop...food and softball will have to sub here. I agree that beer is tastier than blood and water too, but I sure do love the 'water' people in my life, if that makes any sense.