Monday, May 09, 2005

Wanna Feel Like an Underachiever...

So Gage, who I have been hanging out with on occasion, kind of blows me away in the motivation department. He graduated high school at sixteen, finished his Bachelor's degree in two, got an MSW, served a stateside bilingual mission for his church, has one more year in his doctoral program, and is then heading off to med school in Europe.

That's impressive enough, but on top of it, he interns at two prisons, works a few days at the job from hell that we share, is working on getting his private practice set up, and then volunteers one day a week at a children's hospital. But wait, he's also writing children's books, has a book on sports psych he's prepping for after grad, coached two college tennis teams last year, maintains a somewhat balanced social life, still calls his mom every Sunday, and is one of the most humble people I have met in a long time.

He's actually been diagnosed with insomnia since he was fifteen, so I don't even have to feel bad that my biggest goal right now is to get up early enough tomorrow morning to go get more groceries and pick up the new Dave Matthews Band CD. Instead, I will favorably see it as that he's had a lot more hours awake in his short 28 years to get stuff done than I have. At least I'll keep telling myself that as I chug many Diet Dr. Peppers to get through my days.

In the meantime, it appears that this one could easily lean toward a more friendly state, as evidenced by my desire to respond to Adam's incoming text messages even when I am hanging out with Gage. I don't know yet if this is just guilt though because Adam and I hang out more, or if I am genuinely feeling a preference here. Oh yeah, I don't have to make decisions like this for at least a little while longer, huh? Thanks for reminding me.

No comments: