Sunday, April 24, 2005

The Rained Out Week in Review

I've decided that instead of listing the good and bad this week, I'll just offer my ramblings on life in general. Here's what's up at the moment:

The extended family:

Friday, I headed out to watch my half sister Alexis pitch for her Mt. Hood CC softball team. Still horribly bad at gauging traffic, I arrived after 90 minutes of driving hell only to see the second game quickly get stormed out with thunder, lightning, and rain within a few pitches. I did get to see her strike someone out though, so that's a start.

Well, Adam (the cute boy) came and met me to watch the game, but the rain out created an odd second meeting that had us hanging out with my dad, Alexis, and her fiancee' Ben for half the night. I guarantee neither one of us had any intention of glorifying the fact that this was an untimely 'meet the fam' situation, but luckily, it went fine.

Hanging out with my family felt extremely familiar and normal. We sat around listening to a CD my dad picked up and looked at pictures that are going into Alexis and Ben's wedding reception slide show. My dad continues to show alarming similarities to me, and he is also a really funny guy. I like that because I always liked the dads who were annoyingly bothersome instead of just sitting in the corner hiding out and ignoring everyone. I always wanted one, and now I have one. Truly better late than never.

Side projects:

So this term came about my first weekend here when a bunch of us decided to drink a lot. We started talking about the likes of Modest Mouse and The Postal Service...bands that have members who play in other groups and musical styles. The idea to lend the term to dating just seemed logical. It may appear a heartless label, but who cares, it's easy to say.

I have no desire to move anyone into a higher category than 'side project' right now, so landing in here is Adam. We've hung out a couple more times, and he remains a cutie who can put a smile on my face. I'm not feeling the need to attach exclusively to anyone at all though, a sign that I need more side projects first. Hell, five and a half years with the same guy...I'm not interested in having that happen again anytime soon unless some guy sets off some serious electric shockwaves. And even then, I like the idea of staying single for a while.

Hitting the town:

It is generally a rarity for me to do things on my own, but last night when my coworker called to invite me to a party in SE Portland, I decided to take part. Besides knowing, that as a recently single girl, I need to venture outside my comfort zone and 'get out there,' this coworker who called is an unarguably cute and very intelligent guy who almost has a PsyD degree in Clinical Psych. Hey, side projects could be anywhere at this point, right? So I realized that this was the first time in a long time that I didn't drag anyone else along with me. And besides being 'oddly attacked' by the cute coworker's exotic pet that he is training to be a therapy animal, I enjoyed going it alone.

Jobzilla:

I had a second interview last week that I feel probably will end with a 'thanks but we've hired internally' and I have another second interview with a different company on Friday. I am applying for more jobs like crazy and hope to just exit the rez field for a while. I have found solace in the NOC shift at work, though I am back on a regular schedule next week again. Some of the people I work with are really cool though, so at least I may gain another social group out of this poorly executed company. I give this place two more years...it's that bad.

Alright, nothing more to report except that if I had a Not So Good category this week, Amores Perros would be listed. I don't care if it is a great movie, I almost cried just seeing the dead dogs in the first few scenes and had to leave the room. Dog lovers beware...in my opinion, it's not for us.

Lastly, when I wrote a friend in October and told him that I was freaking about getting married, he wrote back and told me, "You're not ready. Break up, move home and find yourself." I didn't think that I needed to do the whole 'find yourself' bit, but it is clear to me that I'm doing just that right now. You know who you are if you told me this, so thanks for the advice...oh, and are you dead? Seriously man, where the hell are my emails?

1 comment:

Jonathan A. said...

Don't worry, dime brizzle. I'm listening to Ghostface Killah reading your blog post. I've got your back like a good chiropractor.