Saturday, April 30, 2005

The Supervisor Returns

I got snared into working tonight somehow. Here's how: Decided to lay on my couch and doze in and out of watching Garden State this afternoon after my interview because 1) I have been lacking in sleep, and 2) I still cannot get over this movie. I have not replayed a movie this many times in years, but something about it...damn it's good. Anyway, I got a call around 1:00 from the supervisor, begging me to come to work. Tired and out of it, I somehow caved and agreed. But then I called back literally one minute later to recant. Nope, I was the LAST chance, NO ONE else could do it. So shit, goodbye Friday night...just got home.

My time at this place is fortunately coming to an end because at 3:00 this afternoon, my interviewees from the morning called me back and gave me A NEW JOB! And it's a supervisory position too. Four days a week, Su-We swing shift, so every Friday and Saturday is mine and apparently there is special treatment for sups on holidays here despite the '24 hour facility' thing.

The crazy in me has decided to stick out staying very on-call and available occasionally to the hellish lockdown because I am still a little on the poor side. Everyone is at work on Thursday and Friday morning anyway, so I figure that I may as well pick up some extra bucks from time to time.

At the new place, I'll be supervising two units, one for adolescents needing acute care and one for teenagers who are easing out into the world again. The teen unit is up and running, but still in development phase, so they are excited to have my creative input. That factor is one reason that I accepted a job in the residential line of work again...I love knowing that I will be utilizing and donating my creative thoughts again, and the supervisor status helps too.

So joy, I finally have a job that happily rounds out my move back to Oregon. I have been here exactly a month now, and I'm liking it. Next on the agenda...a good camping trip. Just need the weather to cooperate a little first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused--what kind of work do you do with all these kids?

You've got a crazy work schedule, but heck, when you're poor...

Sarah said...

Pete,

Well, my position title is Treatment Team Leader. Basically, I work with 'at risk' youth and teens in a residiential setting where they recieve intense counseling, treatment, etc for 'issues' they are struggling with...in a very structured and safe environment. I will also be supervising the line staff at this new place. I am sure I will write more about it in here soon too.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I've had my share of behavioral emergencies as a volunteer EMT, and I must say, I don't think I'd want that for a full-time career.

This makes me respect my friends who are psychologists even more, really.